Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Back to my Cocoon

January 26.

Cluny Association of Past Students.

That's how my mind associates of January 26 since 2002- the year i passed out of my school.

Caution ahead : this post digresses. a lot!!!

St. Joseph of Cluny.
My School.
http://www.sjcluny.com/

I was not a brat at school, I was not a part of any famous(or infamous rather :)) peer group nor did I have any fan following at my school. I was studious. very much studious. ranks mattered to me. 90+ marks were my identity. 85 marks and below put me into shame. 75 and below marks would be the worst nightmare I could ever dare to dream of! but I am sure students never thought of me as a show-off for what rank I held and what i was.. I'm happy about that :)

I spoke to everyone in the class. I was considering myself a nice girl. I could accompany anyone until the canteen during the interval and politely refuse if they offer to buy anything. I cleared doubts to my best for those who sought help from me. I would never speak ill of anyone. I never knew to say a NO !

With this kind of an image when I passed out of school, I had a few friends compared to many who were a part of this gang-thing. a few friends here means those whom I would really love and those who would simply love my company. We all knew that we would miss our school like hell for it because our school with its sprawling lawns, lovely gardens, a big big playground, chapel, a prayer ground, auditorium was a haven for us.

When I passed out, I was aiming for Medicine (cuz, the most studious were associated with it). Luckily(?!!?) I ended up taking Engineering and I chose Anna University only for the reason that it had a green campus (trust me!). and I was quite contented with it cuz, it looked like a second version of my school. As days passed by when I interacted with my hostel-mates and college mates, I realized that I had a great and rather strong mental and emotional foundation as compared to my fellow mates. When they would discuss of their school I would find it rather dumb because they could not re-collect anything beyond their revision exams they had! I would utter a silent prayer under my breath thanking my parents for putting me into Cluny, where curriculum was just a part of my school. Sports , arts , music and cultural activities were greatly encouraged. Moral -Science classes, Prayer Services, visits to orphanages and Hospice, tuck-shop, Counseling classes and a lot more laid the foundation and built in the integrity for Cluny girls and helped us evolve into wonderful women.
When I thought of these I realized how much I miss my school for all that it has done in silently transforming me. I am blessed!

No digress :) coming back, back, and back to the point ;), our batch mates swore under our breath that we would make it on every January 26th!
Well, I was eagerly waiting for January 26th 2003, started from Chennai and I had reached Pondicherry and called up a few of my friends in my locality to confirm as to when we should all be assembling in the school.. To my surprise/dismay, very few seemed to remember that 26th is the Alumni meet and out of that only two of them agreed to turn up for the meet. This could be attributed to the fact that since all of them are residing and pursuing their under-grad at Pondicherry that every other day when they go take a walk by the main lane they would end up meeting half the school crowd. Anyways, but that isn't the case for me! So, finally a few of us managed to meet and the evening was lovely.

Following this incident I thought it was a futile attempt trying to gather my friends and meet them at school. I would rather house-hop to meet them.
Thus it went on that 3 full years I didn't turn up for the Alumni meet not taking the pains/attempt to co-ordinate my friends.

This year, strangely, I felt why-not I re-attempt? And I did.. My twin friends were more than ready to come to school for the Alumni meet. and it had been not less than a minute I had hung up the phone than my sweetest chum, Aarthi called me up from her house asking me if I wud be there at school! Boy.. I cudn't believe .. reason 1: she was supposedly living at US and I was not informed as to when she landed at Pondy. reason 2: someone else is also making an attempt!!

I jumped out of the sofa and looked up at the clock.. it was 3.10 pm . Alumni meet was at 4 .. I had no time to waste.. I told my parents that I'm leaving in another half an hour to school.. they were like : "it is solar eclipse today. the eclipse would be over by 4.07. so , take bath after that and leave by 5". I turned a deaf ear, had bath immediately and tip-toed and hopped happily on my way to school..
I met my friends, my batch mates .. totally 8 from 2002 batch had turned up.. and I was not surprised ! thank you girls for turning up :) The meet started with a small not of prayer then followed by the splendid dance performances- the trademark of Cluny :). Followed by that there was a short speech and we were surprised to know that the speaker belonged to the 1956 year batch of Cluny... a few members were there from the 60's , 70's and 80's .. It was indeed a memorable get-together! After that we were given candles and we had a prayer service. As a fitting end there was bonfire amidst the huge play ground. Students danced to joy and it was a feast! And finally there was our school song sung and that marked the end of the evening..

Re-uniting with old friends, having a hearty talk with teachers, sitting on the cement benches facing the playground and chatting, holding hands together and sitting by the lawns, walking along the corridors, bowing heads and singing hymns suggested me that things have not changed. Our Roots at Cluny are firm and deep..

They indeed are!


5 comments:

Rozee said...

An awesome read...it indeed is a nostalgic pleasure goin back school na?
i was der for last yr's reunion and cudnt help the tears gush up while singing our school song..and i agree, ders nothing like our school, the best place to grow up in. of course, thanks to our parents! i really miss the place.

NIMAMI said...

Hey!! My eyes just brimmed as I read through. Sure living with the campus walls we were molded angels :)
and....bad luck...I was there in Pondy on vacations during the time...even thought of dropping in...but stayed back thinking none would have time to turn up and fearing unfamiliar faces on my own campus :(
Nice that atleast you could enjoy and gather a handfew :)
"Cluny" is an everlasting memory indeed!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
~*kavita*~ said...

@rozee and manasa : couldn't agree with you girls anymore!!